Let your kid learn to balance on the bike. Raising the next Lance Armstrong is not as easy. Nevertheless, giving them a head start will be nice. The days of an oversized bike with stabilizers attached are long gone. Balance bikes are now being accepted as the best way to learn how to balance. These bikes are good for kids in between the ages of 2 and 5 years old.
How to choose a balance bike:
- Weight of the bike: The balance bike should be of the right weight for your toddler. They should not feel too difficult to lift the bike or navigate on it.
- Size: the size of the bike should be just right for the kid’s body size. The bikes in this review can be adjusted on the seat and handlebar elevation from the ground. It is important that your kid sit comfortably on the bike as time progresses. The best seat height should be able to accommodate your kid to bend their knee a little. Adjusting the bike is very important.
- Features: some bikes come with nifty features that may be of an added advantage. For example brakes. The brakes should be comfortable enough for your kid to reach. Though your child will be using their feet most of the times, it is still nice to have a brake on the bike. Others like we highlight later come with bells for your young ones to play with.
- Price: Balance bikes have variations in prices. This is generally determined by the manufacturer’s materials and extra features like some named above. Look to it that the one you choose is at your price range.
Why you need a balance bike:
- For comfort: Balance bikes come with features that will not strain your kid too much. They are custom fit with the kids comfort a paramount consideration. The bikes have tires and padded seats that are comfortable for you young ones.
- Faster progress: research shows with balance bikes, kids learn to ride much faster and transition to normal pedaled bikes easier. With this, they pick up good riding habits much easier and will have a competitive advantage over others that learn to ride using conventional means.
- For Fun: your young one will love playing on the bikes while they keep fit. The advantages here are obvious, as your kid will get more freedom to move and explore the world around them with more reach. They will also keep their spirits up and health at a good stride.
More Details on Our Best Picks:
- Top 10 Best Balance Bikes in 2018 Reviews:
- 10. Radio Flyer Glide N Go Balance Bike with Air Tires
- 9. TheCroco LIGHTEST Aluminum Balance Bike
- 8. Critical Cycles Cub No-Pedal Balance Bike for Kids
- 7. Best Balance Bike for Kids and Toddlers
- 6. Schwinn Balance Bike, 12-Inch
- 5. KaZAM v2e No-Pedal Balance Bike
- 4. Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike (4.4 lbs)
- 3. BAVEL – Balance Bike 12-Inch
- 2. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike
- 1. ZÜM CX Wooden Balance Bike
Top 10 Best Balance Bikes in 2018 Reviews:
10. Radio Flyer Glide N Go Balance Bike with Air Tires
By: Radio Flyer
For over 100 years, Radio Flyer has been in the forefront of making products for kids to play with. With a wealth of experience and research to look at, they achieve this superbly. They do not look too much to give you features that are not necessary and claim they are. They already know what is required on a balance bike. Moreover, here they have a timeless design that is functional and beautiful.
This pedal-free balance bike will let your kid learn to balance fast and easy. It contains 12-inch air tires for a smooth ride. The tires are durable and provide a smooth ride to your youngster.
- The Radio Flyer balance bike contains a ringing bell for your child to play with. A nice feature to have
- Soft handlebars make it easy for your kid to get a grip on the steering.
9. TheCroco LIGHTEST Aluminum Balance Bike
With a weight of only 2 kilos, moving the bike or carrying it, in this case, is not going to be a problem for your kid. This is thanks to its aluminum frame that is anti-corrosive and strong enough to last for long. The bike looks strong, which makes it ideal for a hand down. You are guaranteed to pass it on to the subsequent youngster. Adjusting this balance bike is also a breeze and you will not need any tools to do it.
- The handlebars on TheCroco are made of soft plastic, which provides for exceptional grip.
- Light EVA polymer tires reduce the weight even further.
8. Critical Cycles Cub No-Pedal Balance Bike for Kids
By: Critical Cycles
Critical Cycles balance bike promotes confidence in your child’s tutoring on balance. The safety design reduces injuries to your kid, which are common for balance bikes. The tires are puncture free and do not require any maintenance. This balance bike is suitable for kids between 20 months old and 5 years. They will get to graduate seamlessly to proper bikes once they are used to this in no time.
- The step-through frame design lets your kid get on the bike or off it much easier and faster, compared to many.
- Foot to floor design lets your kid progress much faster with the confidence of placing their feet on without fear.
7. Best Balance Bike for Kids and Toddlers
By: Teddy Shake
With this bike, your kid will learn the ropes in no time. It comes in five different pieces that can be assembled in under 5 minutes. An Allen wrench is included in the packaging to assist you to assemble this balance bike from Teddy Shake. The frame is made of anti-corrosive and anti-rust metal frame. This will serve your kid for a long time without worrying about damaging your bike.
- With a quick clamp function, adjusting the seat and handlebars is quick and easy. You do not need tools to adjust them.
- The Teddy Shake balance bike has a full 3-year warranty.
6. Schwinn Balance Bike, 12-Inch
Since 1989, Schwinn has been making bikes for everyone and anyone. With this bike, they have not left the kids behind. All the standard features like adjustable seat height and adjustable handlebars are included. On top of that, you get a step-through frame design. With all of this and considering the price is just superb.
A unique foot to floor design inspires freedom as your kid is learning the basics of balance. This balance bike is sturdy and a little bit heavier than others are. That is a small price to pay for all the service you are going to get from this bike for your kid or kids.
- The shape of the seat lets you hold the back seat as you teach your kid one or two things about it.
- The seat can be modified in terms of length.
5. KaZAM v2e No-Pedal Balance Bike
The design on the bike is very different from other balance bikes in this review or any other for that matter. This is because it has a patented step in footrest design. This footrest design is placed naturally, where the feet of your kid will naturally step to as they progress in their bike riding tutoring. With this bike, they will be comfortable to do even more stunts compared to other bikes in this review.
Its adjustable seat lets you use it for kids in between 2 and 5 years old. You can also choose from seven different bright color combinations.
- It has puncture resistant tires that do not need air refiling.
- Tools are included for assembly and adjustments of the bike.
4. Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike (4.4 lbs)
This balance bike from Cruzee is light and very comfortable for your kid. Even at its weight, it is very strong and durable. This is from it being constructed from rust-free anodized aluminum. Cruzee is so confident they even give you a lifetime warranty on the bike.
With its weight, balancing on this bike for your kid will be quite easy. They are afforded a lot of freedom and control. The tires are made of foam rubber that will last a very long time.
- It has a lifetime warranty
- Available in many combinations of many colors
3. BAVEL – Balance Bike 12-Inch
With this balance bike from Bavel, you have an option of three colors, namely blue, green and yellow. The colors are very bright and shiny ensuring attention is paid to the kid when they wander off too far. Your kid will definitely make an easy transition once they get the hang of using this bike. It comes disassembled so it is easy to move it from place to place. Assembly is also fast and easy.
Its seat is adjustable from 15 to 20 inches above ground level. This will give you a chance to adjust it according to your child growth rate for a long period in their childhood. The tires are air filled for extra padding for your toddler.
- The handlebars are padded for a comfortable grip to your kid.
- Two wrenches are included in your order. The wrenches let you adjust the handlebars and seat in accordance to your kid’s growth rate.
2. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike
For ten years, Strider has been researching on the ultimate bike for your young ones. Through this balance bike, your kid will transition easily to a pedal bike. Strider has been specializing on balance bikes and in the process has developed enhanced features in the bike. As soon as assembly is done, your young ones will learn to just jump on it and ride. The bike is lightweight, efficient and all terrain. With over 1 million units sold worldwide, Strider has become a household name and people are confident about it.
- The Strider bike has the lowest seat in the market.
- Strider balance bike offers up to seven different colors to choose.
1. ZÜM CX Wooden Balance Bike
The ZÜM CX bike is made for kids between the ages of 3 to 4 years of age. The best thing about this bike is that the frame is made of wood making it one of the distinctive bikes around. The birch wood on the bike is very strong to support your young one. It can support up to 25 kilos in weight, meaning kids between 2 to 5 years of age can get to ride on it without worry. The price of the bike is very affordable and you will not have to spend a fortune getting it.
The tires are inflatable for extra shock absorbing qualities and comfort to your kid. In addition, the padded seat is made from vinyl resisting wear and tear.
- The steering is limited to avoid your kid steering too much and losing control by steering too tight when on the road.
- Finishing is of non-toxic lacquer for a protective coating on the wooden frame.
Through research, balance bikes have been seen to give your kids a good kick-start to ride normal bikes. Raising the next generation of pro bikers will start from such bikes. The bikes in this review have been looked at closely to see that they serve this function and will bring joy to your toddler. The bikes in this review are checked for maximum safety for your young one.